Friday, November 21, 2008

Paying off Debt

A little history here, last year a week before Christmas my DH was laid off from work! I wasn't working and it put us in a terrible bind. I had a little cash, but not much. He got a whopping $220/wk unemployment and he made a little under the table in cash. But basically for 4 months we scrimped and lived off of our credit cards and tax return. Unfortunately that put roughly $8000 on our credit cards, plus 1 already had almost $4000 on it. Now I know $12,000 in cc debt is not much for some, but those cards were almost paid off last year and it's been driving me crazy to have that much debt. So for a couple of months now I've been paying A LOT extra on 1 card in the hopes of paying that 1 off and paying a little extra on the the other 2. I figure I'm working now so there's extra money right there, plus we've been blessed with a fresh donor since summer and I've been able to put what I normally would be spending on sperm towards my debt! So yesterday I calculated what I need to pay every month towards the 1 to pay it off in 6 months! I'm excited and hope that I will be able to continue with this plan.

I know this is a tough time for most people, but anyone else able to pay off debt?

2 comments:

onemorebaby said...

Ack... about 4 years ago I was able to get us completely out of debt... no car payments, credit card, or mortgage. Well, we built our house this last year and are back to having a mortgage. Thankfully nothing else, but paying off any debt is a big deal. Good for you!!!

twondra said...

I hope you're able to do it, sweetie! It's so hard when you have the debt and you want to get rid of it. (((HUGS)))