Saturday, February 21, 2009

14

Count them-FOURTEEN vials of blood taken yesterday for I think 16 tests (I lost count)! I thought I was gonna faint but I did really well. Other than that Dr visit went good. He started by talking a lot about the percentages of getting pg normally and % of when there may be an issue. A little about chromosonal abnormalities that would prevent egg division, that he doesn't usually test for this until after 6 or so m/c b/c this test is VERY expensive. He gave me a breast and pelvic exam, plus are you ready for this: a rectal exam. I joked telling him that wasn't part of the deal but explained that he's had a couple of patients with cysts that are not noticiable other than with a rectal. Anywho, he pretty much treats every one with Clomid, monitoring, trigger than insem followed with progesterone!! Yeah I was worried that he'd want to try a couple cycles unmedicated, but I figure if I'm paying for this I better get the full treatment. I don't think we're trying in March, that we'll be doing the blood work throughout the month and then go ahead, but maybe I misunderstood him. Bad of me I know not to get a def but I'm ok either way. Just some of the tests he ordered were: AIDS, lupus, diabetes, blood type and RH factor; then it looked like T4, and a whole bunch of other things but those are what I remember. The lab is right across from his office and he kept walking back and adding more tests I thought the lab tech was gonna hit him.

I'm to call on CD1 to schedule CD3 testing and it sounded like ultrasound. I'm hoping to hear back from NW soon. Wouldn't that just be awful if I finally get the ball rolling only to have them deny me! They didn't last time so I'm pretty positive but the thought does cross my mind.

He also mentioned that I could pick up the vial myself on the day of insem. This was discussed in a thread on the NW forum. Sounds like if you pick it up then you don't get a dewar. That would just totally depend on my work schedule, but it would be nice to save the $$. Sounds like his scheduling is "workable". I told him that if I have to work the day of insem/testing it would have to be in the am. He prefers am apts so they have plenty of time to get the test done and results back and if he's booked then he'll come in earlier.

Probably since I'm so chicken and scared to find out the possible cost of all this I didn't ask! I know I said I was but I just couldn't. I just keep hoping and praying that the insurance will cover a lot of it. I'm think that Ultrasounds will be covered and that would be a big chunck of the monitored cycle expense. At this point I'm willing to just write the check and worry about it later.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Thats great news... I mglad it all went well. I just might be seeing him after this? Im curious when did you hear you could pick up yourself from NW? I you use to be able to but then they changed it.. If they let you that would be great...you save money there and you just need an ice chest and Dry Ice they say 7 pounds per vial and you get it at Albertsons on Ironwood in case your wondering...Good luck cant wait to hear..

Tina said...

Be sure and Call I would love to know what they say.. Im pretty sure they changed the rule of picking up...

twondra said...

Glad things are moving along! That's exciting!!!