Saturday, January 31, 2009

Refinancing

So I stopped into a local credit union today. It's the same one that financed us for the plow truck my husband bought in December. Anyways, at the time of that purchase they told us they'd refinance our other truck loan at a way lower rate (5.75%). I finally made it in there today to try to do that. They can with a small "glitch". They will only refinance for what the truck is "worth" rather than the payoff amount. Luckily I tend to pay extra every month so the difference is only $900 but in these tough times I would like to keep any extra $$ we do have in my pocket for what if's. So I asked about getting a loan to pay off our credit cards and just adding the $900 to that loan. She said sure no problem she just needs to get approval from her supervisor first. So I came home to print off credit card statements for their payoffs, and that's when I realized we owe a tad more than I thought. Now I'm thinking of just paying the $900 and only financing the credit cards only because I hate to make that small loan any bigger than it needs to be. Either way both refinance loans will save us a bunch of money in interest so I'm happy. I'll let you know which way I go.

No comments: